Hit the road, one chapter at a time

Hit the road, one chapter at a time

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Content and Committment

I've been struggling to actively write this blog because I have been dedicating most of my writing time to writing projects. I have two novel ideas, fiction stories that I wouldn't apply a tag to at this point, a short story that I'm struggling to stay interested in long enough to finish and of course, my big fantasy novel that I've been writing since 1989.

I've finally accepted that those original stories for TBFN (The Big Fantasy Novel) just aren't that good. It took a long time to allow myself to criticise what I had created. That's the crazy thing about creating characters and stories. They are deeply personal. It's one thing for someone else to reject or dismiss what you've done, but when you finally do it yourself, well that's a feeling that you'd much rather avoid. So I will continue to write using the characters of the TBFN but the stories need an enema.

Can you ever use the word enema and not remember Jack Nicholson's portrayal of The Joker? "This town needs and enema!" he so marvelously shouted!

In the end it is healthy because even bad writing is still writing and one must write to get better at it. And of course continue to read others works. I've always found inspiration to write when reading an author's captivating story. The kind where there's an aha moment when the theme is revealed or the plot twists in an exciting way or the protagonist succeeds. Though I admit that I do root for the bad guys on occasion. It adds to the conflict and tension in the story when the evil element edges ahead.

So I'm either going to shorten my blog entries and make them more infrequent. I'd like to commit to writing every day on writing projects and the blog is more self-serving. It's a different method of entertaining an audience than writing fiction and less rewarding, I think. I'd rather tell a great story than ask you to read what I'm thinking about. I heard a great quote yesterday. It appeared during a panel discussion about writing that I downloaded from iTunes.

It went like this: "You don't write to tell someone how to feel, you give them something to feel about." There was my aha moment. I feel like I'm trying to convince a reader to agree or disagree with me while blogging. But crafting stories has the payoff readers really crave.

Maybe I'll post short stories on the blog and see how rewarding that is! If I do post a story and you read it, please give feedback. I have thick skin and welcome both positive and adjusting feedback. You like the term adjusting feedback instead of negative or criticism, didn't you? I like it too. It's more accurate. You give me feedback about what didn't work and I adjust accordingly. Perfect.

Ok. Enough rambling. I have writing to get to now. Write you all soon.

3 comments:

  1. One of the great things about the internet Rob is that it has lowered the barriers to entry for everyone. Including authors. You can have your book published, or short stories, if you are so inclined, to e-books. They can then be posted to Amazon, iBooks, even Google is about to launch a product. Let me know if you need help and I will send you some more specific information.
    I work with a guy who spent his entire life writing and studying golf. Now at age 70 he has just published all of his books, dvds and tips on the web. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is good Rob. You are right, you should write each day and even if it isn't good sometimes if you keep at it something pops into your head that you never intended writing when you started. Many times, for me, it is a stream of consciousness. I usually don't focus on one thing and just write what I see and think.

    Although I haven't had much luck with fiction so far, for the most part, I've written non-fiction. When you start to throw yourself out there you will be amazed by the stuff that you get in return. I have received stories from across the country to enhance what I am doing. I sent you one as an example.

    I had a thought of a screenplay about a guy that is sent to prison and all the prisons are overcrowded so the authorities turned a parking garage into a prison and the person has to fight his way to the top as he collects things of different value on the way to the top. Then what he has collected is tabulated and if he has enough points, he is deported.

    I really didn't have a premise but I received all kinds of information from people that gave me that premise. Use what people send you.

    I thought I had a great first line for my next book but I don't like books or movies that start by telling you the ending before the book or movie starts. I made a mistake one day since I hadn't clipped my nails and when I sent it I sent it to a woman I don't even know. I really have no idea how woman type with their long fingernails. I posted this woman back and apologized. She said, "I was wondering about that my mystery friend?" Once I reconfigure that it is the perfect first line because I am to most people.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Tim! Screenplay writing sounds like fun, Fran. Have you ever considered an agent?

    ReplyDelete