Hit the road, one chapter at a time

Hit the road, one chapter at a time

Friday, May 20, 2011

Haircuts and Oxycontin

I must be a glutton for punishment. It's my only reasonable defense for continuing to frequent the same hair cutting joint. By now I should have switched to another place and washed my hands of it.

Today topped any past trip. And trip is the most accurate description I can use. I joke about the twilight zone often and this place is the epicenter of the weird.

The guy that owns the place is top notch. He cuts hair only a couple days a week and those days change without warning. The other chair changed frequently the first few years I went there. But one woman, let's call her Alice, has worked there the last four.

Alice is a piece of work. Fueled by painkillers, nicotine, bitterness, sporting poor health and possessing a voice sure to annoy even the most tolerant patron - Alice is unique.

I don't know if it's the nasal whine, the lousy command of the language, the simultaneously shaking hands and head or her awful haircuts that keep me coming back. All analysis defies logic. Maybe it's the car accident syndrome; I keep going back to see if it's gotten worse. Today did not disappoint.

Surprisingly, it started off on a good note. A warm greeting. Polite questions. Quick start. Then the voice wore me down. Conversation turned to complaining. Whining. The turning point came suddenly, catching me off guard.

Alice handed me a mirror and said, "How's it look?"

I put my glasses on. I thought it looked like crap. It was too long on top and the sides looked ridiculous. So I said, "Can we make the top shorter? I'd like it to be a lot shorter."

Without a word she walked from my left side to my right. I removed my glasses. She placed a hand on my shoulder and her eyes fluttered. She wobbled a bit. I didn't have my glasses on now so I couldn't read her face in the big mirror. Now she stood completely still. I could hear her breathing. It was shallow and quick.

"Alice is going to hit the floor," I thought. But she regained some control and placed a hand on my head. I relaxed thinking that she was going to pull it together. But when Alice's right hand came up with the scissors it trembled badly.

"Crap," I thought. "She's gonna put my eye out."

Alice made four or five more cuts on the right side of my head. She never came around to the left. She slurred, "How's that, hon?"

I hesitated only slightly then nodded, "Perfect."
"Are you sure?"
"Yup. Just right."

Some talcom powder on the neck and awkward smock removal later, I was out of the chair. "That'll be thirteen dollars, hon."

"You should pay me thirteen dollars for what you did to my hair," I thought. But I paid the ransom just to gain my freedom and raced home.

I drove home, cursing myself for going there again. I swore to never again step foot in that building again. Luckily. Melanie was able to clean it up with our home clippers and the junk drawer/cat-dingleberry scissors (thanks, John Heffron).

So in the end it all worked out. My hair looks good and I'll never see Alice again. I can't help but wonder what will become of her. There's that car accident syndrome at work again. Unfortunately I think Alice is destined to crash and burn.

3 comments:

  1. A few of weeks ago I spent a half hour shaving since I had let it go for so long. I went through, maybe six, razors. I thought, "That was a bad idea, I'm never doing that again." But I did and I ran out of razors this time. Being the cheap bastard that I am I thought, "Well, maybe I'll look good with a beard."

    Usually I sleep with the fan on but the flutter of the hair on my face would keep me awake. I didn't have to worry about that this time though since my dog is shedding and the motor of the fan makes it sound like it is going to burst into flames.

    I have to say that I'm treated differently and usually I don't have to wait in line for very long. Sometimes people just let me go ahead of them.

    In the next week or so I have to meet with an old college roommate that is a supervisor in the FBI so I have to shave. He has to take my fingerprints so I can possibly move to Korea. I have already tried to take out my own stitches with kitchen scissors. It didn't quite work out so I figure that cutting my own beard won't work out either.

    I know I have to go to the barber to have it done. Even though, I think they are trained, since I look at their license on the mirror. I also think, "That is some small ass print and I can print one of those licenses out myself. I don't even know if that is this guy's real name?"

    I'm thinking of bringing the guy a six pack of beer to make sure his hands don't shake when he shaves my beard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FWIW I take Zack to Groom on Water St. They're top notch in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. THP - you have the most sensitive face I have ever heard of. I admit, I can sleep through most anything so your fan irritation sounds foreign to me.

    Jen - thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete