Hit the road, one chapter at a time

Hit the road, one chapter at a time

Friday, May 20, 2011

Quickie

So I am driving home last night and the traffic slows terribly. The cause of the problem is not far ahead so my tensions ease. I creeped along the highway, closing the distance to the flashing lights of two state trooper vehicles.

I strained between sweeps of my wiper blades to see what caused the troopers to respond. In the ditch along the right hand side, a car lay on its side. The undercarriage faced back toward the highway.

No ambulance parked on the shoulder. None moved through the thicket of autos behind me. Maybe one wasn't needed, I thought. And when I pulled alongside my intuition proved correct.

What I needed was a video camera. This what I saw: A man in his late 30's protruded from the open window of the rear passenger side window. I could see his head, shoulders, arms and upper chest. I don't know what he stood upon to have so much of his body protrude from the window. Maybe he had really long legs or some stilts handy on the back seat.

The man's elbows rested on the outside of the car to give him balance. In one hand he clutched a blue and white umbrella, because getting his hair wet was a big problem at the moment.

In the other hand he held a cell phone. I wonder who he was talking to?

"Honey. You won't believe what just happened."

"Boss. About the company car..."

"Dad, remember when you told me I was a shitty driver?"

"Is this Triple A? My membership ran out and I was wondering..."

The best part? The troopers were doing an awful job of holding back the smirks and bursts of laughter. After witnessing that scene I'm grateful for three things:
1. It wasn't me.
2. He wasn't hurt.
3. It made the rest of my ride home pure joy.

All for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment