Hit the road, one chapter at a time

Hit the road, one chapter at a time

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Blogger with a Crappy Attitude


I recently had the opportunity to spend some time with some attorneys. All I can safely comment about the experience was the artificiality of the entire affair. All the language, conversation and questions came across as a mockery, a pantomime of reality. The entire experience can best be described as disturbing.

You could point to my lack of understanding of law and legal proceedings as a reason for my opinion. I've been exposed to legal maneuverings and affairs over the last 18 years due to my profession. I can recall times when I felt uncomfortable with an attorney's decisions and apparent motives. Most often, I would chalk it up to "that's what they need to do to win".

But this week it felt different. It was tricky. It was deceptive. Above all it was as shallow as a sun shower puddle on an August afternoon. Feigned interest. Manufactured small talk. Listening to me only to wait an opportunity to jump into the conversation and argue.

I'm not painting all folks of the legal profession with this broad brush. I know and have worked with many straight-shooting, admirable and reputable counselors. Maybe that's what made this recent meeting so repugnant.

That could apply to just about anything. If my first Dunkin Donut experiences were only in my hometown D&D, I'd never go back to any location. But I know that one store is an anomaly. Service isn't always that pitiful. Customers' not coming first doesn't happen in every shop. Lazy-ass robot is not the hiring profile of the company based on other shops I've visited.

Responsibility: exchange my money for flavored water. Accountability: exchange my money for flavored water in a fast, friendly manner, not in a snooty, slow, disingenuous, erroneous manner. If it was the latter, I'd have to hold you accountable for that behavior, D&D guy/gal/location.

I stopped into a locally owned coffee and pastry shop one morning. What a breath of fresh air. Happy faces, lively and polite conversation, customer-focused. It was a breath of fresh air. Ok, no drive thru. But what's a couple extra minutes added to the trip and a short walk out of the car worth? Compared to the lazy-ass robot service, I'd say its worth a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment